The ultrasound itself was a really neat experience. The ultrasound technician spent nearly a half hour showing us all the different baby parts. She would zoom in on the right hand, then zoom in on the left. She showed us all the different organs as well. It was weird that something so small is already so developed. When she asked us if we wanted to know the sex, we said definitely. All we wanted was healthy, healthy, healthy, and we would have been thrilled either way. She confidently said, "It's a BOY!" I asked her if she was sure, and she responded, "Positive!" Eric and I just looked at each other and smiled. Everyone kept saying I was having a girl...morning sickness, high heart rate, the way I was carrying, etc. Deep down I felt like it was a boy because both our families have oldest boys. I loved and still love having big brothers to protect and watch over me. The Little Bean has a big role to fill!
After the ultrasound, we met with the doctor. He basically told us that the 20 week ultrasound is a report card of what happened during the first trimester. He explained that most of the organs are developed by the end of the 12 weeks, but it isn't until now that they are big enough to actually examine. Then he told us that our little guy earned an A+....already a high achiever! = ) I asked a few questions and the doctor was very comforting telling me that all the little aches and pains I am feeling are completely normal. The body takes the full 9 months to prepare for delivery, which causes lots of growing and changing. Our next appointment is at 24 weeks, but it is, in the words of the doctor, a nothing appointment. It is always exciting though to hear the heartbeat and be reassured that everything is progressing as it should.
Here is the most recent picture of "The Bean":














1 comment:
wow! good post. i am so happy to hear your little guy is doing great! i KNEW it was a boy:)
Post a Comment