Thursday, September 17, 2009

33 Week Appointment

This Tuesday, I had my 33 week appointment. I was pretty excited because the doctor told me I would be getting an ultrasound, and I hadn't seen our little guy since week 20. That excitement turned to a little bit of fear when I was looking through my paperwork and noticed that people do not normally have another ultrasound until week 37. Why did they find a need to do an ultrasound on me almost a month early? They had not told me that anything was abnormal...

Since the appointment was in the middle of Eric's work day, my mom gladly accompanied me. She came in the ultrasound room and was amazed (just as I was) at how quickly the technician was able to focus in on and measure the various baby parts. She told me everything was looking and measuring normal, and that "The Bean" was approximately 4 pounds 8 ounces!! I also made her confirm that he is still a boy = )

After sitting through the ultrasound, I met with the doctor. I asked her what the reason was for doing an ultrasound this early, and she told me that they were just being extra cautious since my belly has been measuring so small. She reassured me that everything they saw was completely normal. The baby's weight puts him at the 44th percentile....average. His heartbeat was in the 140s, which is also normal. I asked her about the size of his head because, you know, I'm worried about how on earth it is going to get out of me. She replied, "Don't worry. He has a big ol' head." That isn't exactly what I wanted to hear, but it must be because he is going to be super smart! = ) She also excitedly told me that they were able to confirm that he is already breathing on his own. Squeeee... this baby is in position, breathing, and getting closer and closer to being ready to make his appearance!

After the doctor's appointment, my mom gave me a gift since it was her first time seeing her little grandbaby. She bought him an adorable coming home outfit with a matching hat and a little "Lovey" blanket. So sweet! We then ate dinner and made a visit to Buy Buy Baby and Babies "r" Us. Babies sure need a lot of stuff!

Here is the most recent picture of Baby Maltz. It is a head shot of him facing the camera. You can see his nose, lips, right eye, and chubby cheeks. My mom said he looks adorable, and Eric said he looks a little like Homer Simpson. You decide...

2 comments:

Aniele said...

AAAAWWWWW!!!

pat said...

hehe at the homer simpson comment. guys are so sentimental, aren't they? :)