Saturday, April 25, 2009

12 Week Update

I had my 12 week appointment on Wednesday. I was really anxious and excited about the appointment but also terrified of the insane amount of blood they were going to draw. We got there first thing in the morning and the visit started off with the ultrasound. I couldn't believe the difference between this ultrasound and the one from less than a month ago. We could actually see the baby's head, body, arms and legs. We could also see it moving around in there. The ultrasound was filled with all good news. The baby was measuring at 12 weeks, and the heartbeat was 154 beats per minute. The only problem was the baby would not turn backwards so that the technician could measure the spine for the down's test...already stubborn like his or her dad! We also got new pics. The little bean is now the size of a lime!

After the ultrasound and a long time in the waiting room, it was time to meet with the doctor. We didn't really discuss all that much. She was glad I've been feeling better and the throwing up has tamed down to only once a week. I'm still a pound below my original weight, which she said was fine because starting now I should put on about a pound a week. We chatted a little more but really I was just nervous about the drawing of the blood.

I headed over to the "the blood drawing room" where the nurse and the doctor gathered the vials I needed to fill. When I saw the amount they had collected, I assured them that I did not have enough blood to fill all of those! They insisted I did, but moved me back into the other room so I could lie down during the process. I closed my eyes tightly and squeezed Eric's hand for what seemed like 5 minutes of blood sucking. The nurse had me stay lying down for a while and gave me some apple juice to drink. Eric informed me that they took 8 vials of blood....EEK! I felt ok and decided I was ready to get up and head home, but first I had to schedule my 16 week appointment. Here was the series of events that took place after...

Receptionist: How about Tuesday the 19th?

Me: Um....what? I need to sit down

I proceeded to sit down on the floor and the rest was a bit of a blur. About 5 people rushed to my side with ice packs and smelling salts. They immediately took my blood pressure, which had dropped pretty significantly. Eric was holding my hand telling me I was ok. I, of course, burst into tears. It was a mixture of fear and embarrassment I am sure since everyone was staring at me. I drank more juice while the nurse held an ice pack on my neck. After several minutes, I started to feel ok, stood up, made my next appointment, and got out of there.

So, the moral of the story is: the baby is doing great, but I am not cut out to give 8 vials of blood!

Here is my 12 week picture. Can you notice my belly yet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, I am so excited for Baby Maltz to come! I can't see the baby in your stomach picture yet but I loved seeing it in the ultrasound picture... I am so happy for you! Love, Melanie

Christine said...

That ultrasound pic is great!